Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Researching WW1

For my Advanced 3D module I decided to go with the First World War period as it is an often under used setting for games and films and has a large variety of interesting and odd looking military hardware to populate my scene.

Above are a handfull of military bases and hardware, the trenches are way to cliché and I'm sure many of my piers will do similar trench levels so I will immediately cast this idea aside. the destroyed tank however could make a nice element alongside other military hardware like the howitzers or being overshadowed by a soaring Zepplin?
Here the famous Dazzle Ships used by the Brits from the mid-end of World War 1. This would make an interesting centrepiece for a map and thus may become the focus of a dock like map? further research needed.
A beached U-boat on the shores of Britain, this could allow some really interesting level, scale may be an issue however. I included sea defences in this mood board as I could include them along the shoreline/ cliff-side as a  point of interest in the map however this may make the map far too large.
whilst the U-boat is very iconic, research has led me to the conclusion that very few schematics or blueprints of this model have been kept or simply not been put online. 


Conclusion: Dazzle ships are definitely the most interesting route to take for this project however I need a way to incorporate it into a level so I will now look into where they were built/ housed.

No comments:

Post a Comment